Accountability is vital for an organisation such as HI, which depends on public funds and support from its donors. We must account for our actions to all the stakeholders in our activities from a legal, operational and ethical perspective.
- our governance
- the steering of our organisation as well as in our human, financial and material resources
- operations in the field
It can also be seen in our guidelines, processes and practices and involves the complementary approach of risk management, internal control and auditing.
With the help of the Institute for the Development of Ethics and Action for Solidarity (IDEAS), in January 2016 HI engaged in enhancing its governance, financial management and effectiveness. After an independent audit conducted on the basis of 120 IDEAS criteria, our organisation was awarded the IDEAS label in recognition of the quality of our governance, financial management and the efficiency of our actions.
- developing methods and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation and impact measurement
- learning from experience, knowledge management and innovative research
- developing our expertise in our different technical fields
- taking part in collective professional initiatives on quality and accountability with other NGOs and specialised bodies
To this end, HI produces its own professional publications and has a policy of identifying and disseminating documentary sources for stakeholders in disability and inclusion.
HI adopted a new PME policy in 2015.
This policy is built on three main pillars:
- fundamental principles – quality, learning and accountability – that define the policy’s purpose
- a Project Quality Framework including 12 criteria for defining recommended target situations for HI’s projects and minimum commitments with regard to the actions to be implemented
- a project cycle with five key phases clarifying when these minimum commitments should be implemented.
A series of methodological and technical tools are available for head office and field staff to help them implement this policy.
A project Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation policy
Photos : © B. Blondel / HI - © A. Surprenant/Collectif Item/HI - © L. Veuve / HI - © A. Surprenant/Collectif Item/HI